Thank You: Thank you to Dr. Erol & Sally Amon for sponsoring Shalosh Seudos in memory and observance of the yahrzeits of Erol’s parents Dr. Rene and Denise Amon z’l.
Happy Birthday: Happy 97th Birthday to Leo Bressler! Gloria Waxman, Marvin Greenberg, Robin Rickerman, Lawrence Hollander, Reuven Tzadok, Traci Goldstein and Alana Minoff.
Thank You: Larry & Risa Bressler, Jonathan and Matthew; Kenny & Barb Bressler, Jaime and Josh; Menachem & Linda Szus, Mickey and Eli; Dana & Elie Sutton, Sammy, Jane and baby Linda for sponsoring the cake and soda.
Thank You: Joni & Bob Kaiser for sponsoring the cookie cake to say farewell to Hannah, Lee and Nesya. “We have loved every minute of your visit & we will miss you terribly. We all wish you safe travels back to Israel”.
Anniversaries: Leonard & Fran Alper and Irwin & Rosalind Rosen.
Shabbat Greeter: Mike Minoff & Larry Chervitz.
Thank You: Our Simchas Torah dinner sponsors for making the dinner a huge success! Bryson & Jennifer Hartranft, Alan & Janet Haber, Kenny Bressler, Don & Julie Eisenberg, Jay & Peggy Umansky, Bob & Joni Kaiser, Alan & Vivian Zarkowsky, Ed & Helayne Levitt, Menachem & Linda Szus, Drs. Jay Pepose & Susan Feigenbaum and Sally Needle.
This Week and Beyond
RSVP for our semi-annual Friday Night Shabbat Dinner on November 8th 2019/5779 The Year of Our New Sefer Torah
Join NHBZ and the American Jewish Congress in honoring the memory of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting victims and standing up to antisemitism and all forms of hate by participating in the nationwide #ShowUpForShabbat campaign this Shabbat, October 26.
- October 26 ~ New Member Shabbat ~ Meet our newest NHBZ members in a ‘give.and-take’ during Kiddush luncheon.
- November 4 ~ 7:00 pm ~ “To the Source” with Rabbi Smason. An ongoing weekly class covering contemporary Torah topics using classic and modern English and Hebrew texts. For Men and Women. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- November 8 – (Friday Night) ~ Shabbat Dinner at NHBZ ~ Program for adults and kids!
RSVP by Monday, November 4. Adults $18 – Children $12.00. Please consider becoming a sponsor for $25.00.
- November 11 – (Monday) ~ 7:30 pm ~ Home Discussion Group topic: ‘Medical Methods and Halacha’ hosted by Jackie & Dr. Craig Berkin. RSVP to the office for address.
- November 12 (Tuesday) ~ NHBZ Board Meeting ~ 7:15 pm
- Shabbat, November 16 ~ Synaplex with speakers Greg Yawitz and Rabbi Daniel Freund. Kiddush Luncheon to follow.
- Sunday, November 17 ~ 10:00 am NHBZ Annual Meeting and Election of Officers
- Sunday, December 15 ~ NHBZ Anniversary Dinner
In the Community
November 4 ~7:15 pm-8:45 pm ~ John Danforth Israel Scholars Program, the leading Israel education and engagement training program for both teens and adults in St. Louis, Classes will meet at the Jewish Federation Building. For more information please call 314-498-6279.
TOMCHEI SHABBOS: Shop Schnucks Ladue this Sunday, October 27, and help restock the shelves of our local Tomchei Shabbos food pantry. Shop anytime 10:00-3:00, pick up nonperishable food items, and drop them off at our table outside the front door. Not planning to shop on Sunday but want to donate? Contact Jackie Oppenheimer(997-6924) or Tammy Friedman (226-9777) for food donations, or Tomcheistl.org for monetary donations.
Missouri Torah Institute invites the entire community to a Melava Malka on Motzei Shabbos, November 2nd at 9:00 PM at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Charlie and Naomi Ruth Deutsch-241 Linden Avenue in Clayton. Special guest speaker will be Rav Akiva Grunblatt, Shlita, Rosh Yeshiva of Chofetz Chaim of Queens. The topic will be “The Pursuit of Happiness, Finding Simcha in our Lives ”. Come enjoy a hot pareve buffet catered by Jon Rubin Catering. The event is complimentary.
This Week’s Torah Trivia
Last Week’s Question: What does the word Succot Mean? Why is this parsha called by this name?
Answer: Succot means Booths. It signifies both the dwellings that were used in the desert and is also the name of a place.
This Week’s Question: What is the first letter of the Torah and what is the last letter of the Torah? What does this signify?
If you know of anyone who would like to receive the NHBZ Shabbat bulletin, please send their email to the office.
- Rabbi’s Sermon ~ To receive an email edited version of Rabbi Smason’s sermon please contact Rabbi Smason at email@example.com.