In the Community – Week of October 5th, 2019
Happy Birthday: Susan Feigenbaum, Jordan Kadosh, Sallie Volotzky, Ina Makovsky and David Morgensztern.
Anniversaries – Jonathan & Naomi Shanker, Marvin & Sandra Greenberg, Michael & Alana Minoff and Kenny & Barb Bressler.
- Sunday, October 6 ~ Sukkah Raising 9:00am
- Monday, October 14 and Tuesday, October 15 ~ Sukkot Services at 9:00 am
- Monday, October 14 ~ NHBZ KIDS SUKKAH Decorating contest and party 3:45 pm -5:00 pm see flyer for details.
- Wednesday, October 16 ~ 7:15 pm ~ NHBZ Sisterhood program In the Sukkah “Women in the Torah” Presented by Rebbetzin Chani Smason. Light refreshments. This program is open to men and women.
- Monday, October 21 ~ Simchas Torah ~ 9:00 am Services – 5:45 pm Mincha ~ 6:55 pm Hakofos, Parade of Torahs – 7:30 pm auction and free Spaghetti Dinner. Please consider being a dinner sponsor for $25.00 and RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, October 21~ 3:45 – 5:00pm ~ Kinder-Kafot for Kids! See flyer.
- Shabbos, October 26 ~ New Member Shabbat ~ Meet our newest NHBZ members in a give-and-take during Kiddush luncheon.
- November 4 ~ 7:00 pm ~ “To the Source” with Rabbi Smason. An ongoing weekly class covering contemporary Torah topics using classic and modern English and Hebrew texts. For Men and Women.
- Friday Night, November 8 ~ Shabbat Dinner at NHBZ ~ RSVP by Monday, November 4. Adults $18 / Children $12.00.
- Monday, November 11 ~ 7:30 pm ~ Home Discussion Group topic ‘Medical Methods and Halacha’ hosted by Jackie & Dr. Craig Berkin. RSVP to the office for address.
- Shabbat, November 16 ~ Synaplex with speaker Greg Yawitz, incoming STL Jewish Federation president and developer. Luncheon to follow.
The Shabbos between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is called Shabbos Shuvah, Shabbos of Return because its special haftarah reading begins with the words Shuvah Yisrael “Return O Israel,” from the prophecy of Hoshea. It is also referred to as Shabbos Teshuvah because it falls during the Ten Days of Repentance.
The Shabbat Buddy System
As announced last Shabbat, NHBZ is forming a buddy system for those who would like to have a “buddy” help guide them through the Siddur and Chumash during services. We are looking for those who can serve as the “Buddy”.
~ This Week’s Torah Trivia ~
Last Week’s Question : Does the Torah espouse free will or just the automatic fulfillment of Mitzvot?
Answer: Look at Deuteronomy 30:19. ” I have today set before you life and good, death and evil”. Think about this and discuss.
This Week’s Question: Who takes over from Moshe as Leader of Am Yisrael?
TOMCHEI SHABBOS: URGENT! Please remember our families in the community who are depending on your help during the upcoming chagim. A monetary donation can be made at email@example.com. For food donations, please contact Jackie Oppenheimer at 314-997-6924.
If you know of anyone who would like to receive the NHBZ Shabbat bulletin, please send their email to the office.
- Rabbi’s Sermon ~ To receive an email edited version of Rabbi Smason’s sermon please contact Rabbi Smason at firstname.lastname@example.org.