Parshas: Ki Seitzei
This week’s Torah portion contains 74 mitzvos (commandments) — more than 10% of the 613 mitzvos of the Torah. Among the highlights:
- Guidelines for treatment of captured female prisoners of war.
- Treatment of the ‘stubborn and rebellious son’.
- Prohibition of wearing shatnez — a mixture of wool and linen in the same garment.
- The case of the defamation of a married woman.
- Men are forbidden from wearing women’s clothing and vice versa.
- Taking interest for lending to a Jew is forbidden.
- The requirement of a get (bill of divorce) when divorce takes place.
- The obligation to pay workers in a timely fashion (handymen, babysitters, etc.)
- Special consideration must be given to a widow and orphan.
This power-packed Torah portion concludes with the command to remember the atrocities which the nation of Amalek (from whom Haman came) committed against us upon our exodus from Egypt.