The Sisterhood Scoop – August 17th, 2019
Volume 2 Number 32 – August 17, 2019 – 16 Av 5779
Sisterhood’s 4th Annual Dine ‘n’ Style Fashion Show & Luncheon
A World of Fashion – Sunday August 18th
- New Fall Fashions from Orli’s Boutique + Sale Bash!
- International Luncheon
- Lots of Shopping
- Live Music by Howard Sandler
Shop our ‘Retain Market Place’ in the Lower Level
- Glasswork by Sallie – Sallie Volotzky – fused glass, & Judaica
- Gifts and More – Charlene Eidelman – jewelry, purses, & more
- LHM Creative Design – Linda Marcus – artisan jewelry
- Linda’s HeadQuarters – Famous Chic Hats from Chicago
- Motek – Bar Rodin – Israeli jewelry and accessories
- Orna Dar – Israeli jewelry and accessories
- Orli’s Boutique – Orli Axelbaum – clothing, accessories, & deals!
PROCEEDS BENEFIT ‘PASSPORT TO ISRAEL’ PROGRAM
For more information – 314-991-2100, ext.3 or For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, or Helayne Levitt or Terri Schnitze.
Mark Your Calendars
Save the Date • Save the Date • Save the Date
- Next Book Club book: Lift and Separate: A Novel, by Marilyn Simon Rothstein – Monday, August 26, 7:15-8:45PM
- Craft Central Art Project ’Stained Glass Star of David’ – Wed., Sept. 18, 6:00-8:30PM
- JFedStL Women’s Philanthropy:’L’Chaim!’ w/ Edie Lutnick – Tues, Sept. 24 at 6:15 PM. Join NHBZ Sisterhood at the Ritz-Carlton!
Tu B’Av / The Power of Comfort
The cycle of moving from darkness to light is expressed on this Shabbat, the Shabbat after the ninth of Av, the fast which commemorates the tragedy of the destruction of both the first and second Temples in Jerusalem.
The sages tell us that the fifteenth of every Jewish month is significant, because, in accordance with the lunar calendar, on that day the moon is full. The moon represents the Jewish people, and also the Divine Presence, the Shechinah, which has a feminine quality. The fifteenth of Av has a special power of joy, above that of the fifteenth of all other months, because the descent on the ninth of Av was so terrible. The light and joy which follows darkness have an added, unique power.
The Lubavitcher Rebbe points out that this idea can help us even if we are still at the stage of the descent into darkness. The darkness and desolation are not a cause for despair: on the contrary, they point to the greater joy which will follow. The greater the darkness, the greater the light and the joy which will follow. Recognizing this truth inherent in existence enables us to find joy at the darkest moment. This teaching applies to us as individual men and women, and also to the Jewish people as a whole.
– adapted from Dr. Tali Loewenthal, www.Chabad.org
BOOK CLUB NEWS
The next meeting of the NHBZ Sisterhood Book Club will be Monday, August 26, 7:15-8:45 PM at the home of Fran Alper. The book is: “Lift and Separate: A Novel,” by Marilyn Simon Rothstein. It’s a light, amusing novel about overcoming life’s setbacks. Discussion leader will be Terri Schnitzer.
Looking ahead, the Book Club will discuss “Waking Lions,” by Ayelet Gunnar-Goshen at the October 28 Book Club meeting.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Terri Schnitzer
Women’s Philanthropy St. Louis Jewish Federation presents:
“L’CHAIM! An evening of celebration, community, and giving”
Tuesday, September 24
The Ritz Carlton, St. Louis Sisterhood is representing NHBZ in support of Women’s Philanthropy.
Register online at: www.jfedstl.org/lchaim2019
Ask to be seated at the NHBZ table.
For information or to join Sisterhood, call the NHBZ office at 314-991-2100, ext. 3, or email: email@example.com